My name is Phil Carter and I am an Ohio-based product designer. Ever since I was a kid doodling robots, ghosts and robot-ghosts on my bedroom floor I’ve had a knack for the visual arts. As I got older and my family got our first computer I have been creating digital works of art and design.
Fuse by Cardinal Health – Product Designer
November 2018 – Present
The Ohio State University – Senior UX/UI Designer
February 2018 – November 2018
McGraw-Hill Education – Supervisor of Interactive Design
September 2016 – February 2018
Managed team of Interactive Designers who conceptualize and create interactive content for K-12 educational web products. Partnered with the Director of Interactive Solutions in the formation and organization of the Interactive Solutions and Development department for the New Technologies group. We defined roles and responsibilities for Digital Interactive Designers and Digital Production Designers in their cross-functional product teams, as well as evolved and expanded their scope of work for product development.
- Coached designers on human computer interaction best practices, fundamental UX principles, device interface guidelines, and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
- Approved interactive design solutions produced by Digital Interactive Designers, ensuring solutions are scalable, accessible, and meet project requirements.
- Worked with project teams to identify and articulate new product features and ensure stakeholder’s needs are met by collaborating directly with development teams from sprint planning to deployment.
- Responsible for hiring and onboarding designers for project launches, managing team workload assignments, and budget forecasting.
McGraw-Hill Education – Senior Interactive Designer
March 2014 – September 2016
Served on New Technologies – School UX team to strategize and design the next generation of digital education products. Responsible for researching, creating, refining, and documenting compelling solutions that meet market needs while supporting business objectives.
- Worked closely with researchers, subject matter experts and other stakeholders to synthesize input and shape new products, from ideation to market launch.
- Developed and refined wireframes, visual interaction design mockups, and functional HTML prototypes for user testing and research.
- Conducted heuristic evaluations, ethnographic observations, user testing, and gap analysis for product features and enhancements.
Coalesce Software (Startup) – Lead Designer
July 2011 – March 2014
Led design and creation of Routzy product website and marketing collateral; including production of video and web tutorials.
Served as creative lead on all projects for mobile CRM business application. Designed wireframes, prototypes, user flows, and visual treatments prior to major
features and enhancements entering production. Worked closely with development team through product research, interaction design, focus groups, and usability testing during all phases of development. Lead project enhancements for the inclusion of contact route creation and optimization, automatic paperwork completion, and new user sign up.
- Coalesce Software was named Outstanding Start Up by Tech Columbus after Routzy product launch in 2012.
My Service Depot – Lead Designer
March 2010 – March 2014
Managed software product brand, SEO strategies, PPC campaigns, website redesign, logo redesign and email marketing campaigns. Set strategy for product positioning and pricing in a competitive market.
Led team project to design, build and launch re-branded product website.
- Conversions increased: 227.8%
- Bounce reduced: 31.33%
- Visit duration increased: 64.57%
- Pageviews increased: 20.58%
Designed and administered all marketing collateral and campaigns for flagship product.
- Increased revenue by 48.5% in 2011
- Increased revenue by 23.3% in 2012
- Increased revenue by 10.4% in 2013
Hot Wraps – Graphic Designer
March 2009 – February 2010
Consulted with clients to design and install vehicle graphics and wraps that would represent the company’s brand on a fleet of vehicles. Notable clients included Emerson Electric, Young Jeezy and more.
IT Department- Ohio Department of Public Safety
September 2006 – March 2009
Coordinated design and creation of websites, presentations and documentation to train new hires.
Columbus College of Art & Design
Bachelor of Fine Arts – Major in Time Based Media
- Dean’s list recipient
- Faculty Award for Excellence in overall artistic portfolio
- Selected to attend Paitoon Raton Animation Workshop (2003)